The Department of Dietary at PSG Hospitals was established in the year 1989 with the aim to provide good nutritional care to all the patients. The Department of Dietary is multi- faceted offering therapeutic diet which is prescribed by the doctors, conducting diet clinics and organizing diet camps. Individual and family counseling is available through full time dietitians.
A large team of dedicated registered dietitians, supportive staff and sanitary team ensure safe and dependable dietary services. The department is certified by the FSSAI.
In Patient Dietary Services
- All in-patients are screened for nutritional risk by qualified dietitians based on metabolic, anthropometric and biochemical data and provide Nutritional Care.
- Individualized nutritional care is provided to all in-patients with a dietitian attending to each one of them.
- The patients are offered a wide choice of food items based on the nutritional requirements. All efforts would be made to provide special meals catering to the patients in accordance with their disease condition.
Educational material will be provided. Nutritional assistance / diet counseling will be given for the following medical conditions
- Metabolic disorders like diabetes Mellitus
- Cardio vascular diseases
- Gastrointestinal disorder
- Kidney disorders
- Weight management and bariatric surgery
- Enteral feeding etc
Critical Care Service
The Critical Care Dietitian will assess and provide nutritional input to all patients admitted in critical care units and review these patients on a regular basis to obtain better outcome and speedy recovery. Continuous ryles tube feeding is initiated for critical care patients on Enteral Nutrition under supervision of the Dietitian.
Every individual needs to plan a diet to suit their life style and society, health conditions to lead a healthy life. If a diet plan has not been made so far, please feel free to contact our dietitian at the diet clinic.
- The dietitians in this clinic not only plan diet specific for your needs but will also educate on healthy eating habits and life style modifications. Information on safe dietary practice will also be provided.
- The department of Dietetics at the hospital provides counselling for the outpatients who are either referred by the Doctors or those who volunteer to visit the dietitians. The Dietitians acquire the history of each of the patient before charting out a diet plan.
- The department also caters to the outsiders who come seeking diet plans to keep fit.
- Counseling is also provided for parents wishing their children to be healthy and resistant to infection.
- The outpatient diet clinic works from Monday to Saturday from 10 am to 6pm.
- Diet counseling is also given for Master Health Checkup patients and outpatients at other health centers of PSG Hospitals on regular basis.
- Department of Dietetics of PSG Hospitals is recognized by Indian Dietetic Association (IDA) to conduct RD Six Months Internship for graduates and postgraduates in Nutrition. Only hospital in the city to have Four Registered Dietitians (RD). The students will be trained under the supervision of Registered Dietitians.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students in Nutrition & Dietetics from various colleges across Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka are offered Dietetic Internship programs.
- The department also works towards promoting good health by educating the public and other health professionals about diet and nutrition.
- The Department has been participating in various camps, both in-house and outside to educate people on healthy eating and healthy living.
- Diet Expos are conducted for the outpatients on safety dietary practices and the ways to prevent deficiency and diseases.
- The Dietitians at the department have also been visiting industrial units to communicate to the employees and create awareness on the need to keep a check on their dietary habits.
- The department also helps industrial houses and educational institutions in organizing diet related workshops for their employees and their families.
Department Research Activities
- Department conducts research in the field of Clinical Nutrition and updates the clinical practice as per the new guidelines and findings.